In the framework of the Celebration of International Women’s Day and the 10th Anniversary of the Network of Local Elected Women of Africa (REFELA), United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG-Africa) in partnership and with the support of the International Centre for the Promotion of Human Rights at the Local and Regional Levels Under the Auspices of UNESCO is organising an online Capacity Building workshop on the theme of: “Local approaches to guaranteeing women’s rights”, from 09 to 10 March 2021.
This online capacity-building workshop, in addition to promoting the importance of Human Rights at the local level, has the following objectives:
- Increasing political will and commitment and social demand for inclusive and sustainable cities, anchored in the fundamental principles of Human Rights, the 2030 and 2063 Agendas, the New Urban Agenda and the African Charter on the Values and Principles of Decentralization, Local Governance and Local Development;
- Increasing the commitment of local political actors in the field of Human Rights, as well as the appreciation, capacity and determination of urban planners and decision-makers to promote inclusion through various systems, policies and processes;
- The implementation of field-tested methods and policy instruments for the promotion of Human Rights at the local level, such as the Toolkit for Urban Inclusion in Arab Cities, according to the specific contexts of the participants;
- The opportunity for Local Governments, experts, local civil servants as well as components of the Civil Society to improve their capacities in the field of Human Rights;
- The provision of a platform to exchange experiences and good practices, and to initiate in-depth learning among participants.
- Concept Note [+]